Monday, May 09, 2005

Have you got an Ape Drape?

Once upon a time, I went out with a guy who had a mullet. This was back in the days when "hockey hair" was very cool. He had the “almost spiked but somewhat feathered” look on top, and then he’d perm the long hair in the back. I laugh when I think of it now. Plus his hair was red. Man, I haven't seen the show Joe Dirt, but I bet there are a lot of mullet jokes in there. I like the description of a mullet as "business in the front, party in the back". There’s a funny song by The Vandals called ‘I’ve got an Ape Drape’ and it’s all about mullets. So I guess if nothing else, the style is inspiring for people... to write blogs, make movies and songs about. I don’t know if there has ever been another hairstyle at the forefront of such inspiration. In that song they mention some of the other names for mullets and where it comes from… Norce Neck Warmer: Norco, Hockey Hair: Canada, Mullet: Hoboken, Forbidden Hair: Europe and Shom: Florida. Haha, I like ‘Forbidden hair”.

My friend Rose did a blog on mullets when she saw the addition to my Girl Wonder blog… and its been kind of a mullet chain reaction ever since. She said she was going to do a study on whether mullets were more common on lower socio-economic groups. I told her that this may be true, as I’ve heard of people who climb the socio-economic ladder and subsequently shed the shom. Jessica Simpson’s dad was one such person. I don’t think it’s simply a function of money however, I think it’s who you hang out with. I get a feeling that the folks in the pop music biz probably would have ribbed him to no end about his neck warmer.

No comments: