When planning a night out at the theatre, it can be a daunting task to choose where to spend your precious time and hard-earned dollar. This is particularly true for comedies. I think it's because comedies aren't usually high quality productions. People's sense of humour also varies tremendously. People who loved Naked Gun may hate Ace Ventura. People who loved Deuce Bigelow may hate The Big Lebowski. It makes no logical sense and cannot be predicted. You can only tell by actually watching the show. No way around it.
Case in point. Below is a typical breakdown of how a comedy may be rated by the general public.
Current rating: 2.93 / 5
Total Votes: 1,115
- DAMN GOOD MOVIE with some very funny moments!!!
- Excellent movie, all my friends enjoyed it, A MUST see comedy.
- Good start that loses momentum by the final half hour.Not as biting as Spinal Tap,but some good chuckles.
- amazing soundtrack, this movie is worth seeing
- great movie, dirty humour but the soundtrack is seriously a 6 out of 5, really great!
- hilarious!!!!! worth the price of admission!
- I would have gave it 5 stars. But the full frontal nudity was a bit much!
- Hilarious haven't laughed that hard in a while. If you dont think this is a funny movie than there is something wrong with you. This is a must see comedy!
- Excellent comedy - laughed through the whole thing! worth the money to go to the theatre!
- Best movie!! Wow is all I have to say
Well, that seems like a total winner! I can't say that full frontal nudity is a deterrent for me. And usually, if enough people say it was funny, then it's probably a gooder. Uh, except for Knocked Up… That was BAD. I got duped by my friends on that one!!!
Anyways, it's all good until you look at see that about 1/3 of the people thought it was great and 1/3 thought it was awful!!!
***** 30.43%
**** 13.04%
*** 6.52%
** 19.57%
* 30.43%
Read on…
- I found it entertaining, but nonetheless, HORRIBLE. A laugh at movie, not a laugh with one.
- It could have been a lot better had there not been the raw nudity. it started off funny and myself and my darghter and my new son-in law were laughing until they started showing such raw nudity. that stuff doesn't belong on the movie screens of America .a country founded on God where around 80 % of the population claims to be christians!!!!
- This was the worst movie I have seen by far. The beginning was quite funny, but very soon I stopped laughing and was in awe at how bad it was. It was the worst spoof I have ever seen. It was like an extended Mad TV skit gone horribly wrong. The fact that celebrities and artists I admire actually agreed to be part of this film blows my mind. It was 1 1/2 hours of my life I can never get back.
- 96 minutes of my life I will never get back. If must see it, wait for the DVD
- One word "Horrible!" Not funny at all!
- one stupid movie!!! only 2 stars...some parts r really funny...but just wait till it come on dvd..rent it..not worth watchin this while there r so many other good movies playin as well...dont bother watchin this movie..IT AINT GOOD!
- Who could possibly find anything funny about this movie! I went in with high hopes and left without haveing laughed once. The odd smirk was the best I could do. Too bad; wait for the DVD,
- Horrible, Waste of my time and money!
- Not funny! Worst comedy i have seen in a while! Dont waste your money or time!
Which movie was it? Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story. What to do, what to do…
Update: Guess what? We trepidatiously handed over 25 bones last night to see the story of Mr. Dewey Cox... And I know what you're thinking - $25?!? I know, I almost crapped in my pants. It was TUESDAY. What the hell happend to 2.50 Tuesday? LOL. Ok, I'm showing my age now... Anyhoo. Back to the guess what thing -> As we walked into the theatre, I saw the poster for the movie. It was from the makers of Knocked Up and Superbad! GULP. As you may know, I didn't like Knocked Up and I heard that Superbad was super BAD.
So trepidation may not be the right word... IMPENDING DREAD may have been more like it.
(Ahem. I'm making a very short comment incredibly LONG here.)
Dewey Cox, I'm happy to report, was really very funny!!! We were chuckling about some parts for hours afterwards, which is a definite sign of a good comedy. There was a lot of subtle humour mixed with a little more obvious stuff. And the full frontal nudity wasn't over-the-top at all. It was quite appropriate for the humourous intent. I don't find nudity offensive anyways... except maybe when it's my neked neighbour...

5 comments:
just like one guy said, just don't go or buy a pizza and let someone else rent it, at least you'll enjoy the pizza
i really liked knocked up and super bad was pretty super good. I like those kinds of movies though. want to see a totally shitty movie? rent "shoot em up". although Clive Owen has redeeming properties all in his own. that movie was so bad i couldn't wait for it to be done. there have only been a few movies like that for me.
Most comedies appeal to me as long as they were somewaht entertaining. and if i'm renting dvd's i don't get toomad when the movie's not great. I generally don't go see comedy in the theatre because its such a risk.
mmm pizza mmmm
Yeah maybe Knocked Up would've been better if I was really drunk. All I know is that the fam sat down to enjoy a good comedy, and my parents left partway through (it was pay per view, so they just went to bed) and my sister and I forced ourselves to watch it until the end. We laughed at a couple of the parts, like the scenes in the office of her new boss and coworker. Hil. But like another commenter said, "This movie was funny but felt a little long and drawn out towards the end." I'll say.
Rosie, Nater, if you're into the music scene and you like this guy's comedies, you'll love Walk Hard.
Some weird comments about the nudity thing. Really strange that the christian thing comes into it since Adam and Eve strode around the garden of Eden stark naked until that darn snake showed up. Personally I think some nudity can be hilarious all by itself. I thought that's why most of us wear clothes, but perhaps I'm thinking from a different age perspective!
Some weird comments about the nudity thing. Really strange that the christian thing comes into it since Adam and Eve strode around the garden of Eden stark naked until that darn snake showed up. Personally I think some nudity can be hilarious all by itself. I thought that's why most of us wear clothes, but perhaps I'm thinking from a different age perspective!
Post a Comment