Apparently a British study has found that swearing on the job can reduce stress and boost employee morale. (See article: What the ...? Workplace profanity boosts morale: study).
Interesting. I knew I was doing a good thing by swearing at the printer all the time! If my supervisor ever walks in (yeah, could happen), I'll just tell him that "frequent swearing can reinforce solidarity among staff and enable them to express their feelings, such as frustration, and develop social relationships." He's in research. He'll know it must be true!
Although I'm not sure what social relationships cursing would end up developing... or why. Will people think I'm cool because of my colourful language and want to get to know me better? I highly doubt it. Will they form a bond over how universally frustrating the printer is, and a relationship then blossom via an intense empathy for each others trials and tribulations? I doubt that too. I think I'll keep trying to stifle it as long as I know others are within earshot.
Driving, on the other hand, is a completely different story. I'm not getting mad while driving. I'm just expressing myself through profanity... It's pantloads of fun! Profanity makes me feel good, especially when directed at stupid people who don't know it. Hence, other drivers. On the road there's no lack of targets for my morale-boosting antics. And since when does such fun NOT improve the morale on a road trip?

3 comments:
Try swearing in a foreign language - works great for when others are within earshot...
And I know quite a few words, thanks to Flo. I don't really wanna sound like a yelling French dude around the office though. That would be worse than just peeling out an English curse in my own voice. I think.
Nah - french it up. Girls with french accents are sexy.
Post a Comment