Friday, December 14, 2007

BOO Bad Bacteria, YAY Good Bacteria!

Apparently my healthy diet has saved me from a day that can only be described as a potential 'spontaneous colon blow day'. This is a very good thing.

Let me explain.

A friend of mine took me out to a new East Indian restaurant the other night (friend and restaurant names withheld, although perhaps I should warn others about the seemingly inocuous eating joint). Anyways, I always call East Indian buffets "the thousand calorie download" because I'm pretty sure you'd be hard-pressed to find a place where you could wolf down more calories in less time, barring some fast food joints of course.

Oh and we ATE till we hurt.

And we hurt the next day too.

I have to wonder how many of those calories were actually absorbed since my whole meal plus half my intestines and maybe even my appendix escaped out the back of me by noon the next day. I was literally in awe. Hey, if you want to do one of those 'colon cleanses' then perhaps this restaurant is for you. There was seriously about an hour there where my butt was married to the toilet bowl, indefinitely. It was rude. Which is why I had to bring it up on this blog of course, haha.

Yeah whatever.

Here's where my healthy, good bacteria colonized gut saved me. My friend called a couple of days later and said, "uh, how were you feeling yesterday?" I knew exactly what he was referring to so I gave an appropriate description to the world-of-turmoil my intestinal tract had experienced the morning before. He proceeded to tell me that my hour of excrutiation constituted his WHOLE DAY. He couldn't keep anything down. He had cramps. He was at the mercy of the latrine, a jester at the porcelain throne, a hooker to the john... THE WHOLE DAY. And the worst part -- he had a date that night!!!! The poor guy. The details of this he mostly left out, except to say that the call of nature occured on his way to pick her up. He couldn't exactly open the chutes at her house, so he stopped at Walmart and the washroom there had no toilet paper! At this point he had to leave his stall, buy some toilet paper and return to finish his business! I had a pretty good chuckle at his expense, I must say.

The only thing I can figure is that all the healthy bacteria in my gut prevented the bad ones from doing much damage. They ameliorated my diarrhea by "stimulation of the immune system, competition for binding sites on intestinal epithelial cells and elaboration of bacteriocins." (Source: Probiotics in the Treatment of Infectious Diarrhea). Booyah to the little buggers! Now excuse me while I chow down on some yogourt, bananas and barley.

Hmm... I get a feeling that if I ever wrote a column about nutrition, it would be a little less than conventional. But it would get the point across.

3 comments:

Al said...

Not sure the upset was bacteria related eg E.coli. Salmonella, Shigella, etc since these things take at least 12 to 24 hours to kick in and rarely are over with in ONE day. More likely some kind of toxin/viral/chemical reaction. But your point is well taken; the more fibre in your diet and the healthier the Gastrointestinal Tract (including the endothelial cells) the better you tolerate these things and get back to normal. But then genetics plays a part as well; so maybe your just a luck-sack.

Anonymous said...

yah, you probably ate someone's poo. Nice one! I bet you'll be going back there! You should probably call the health department and report it-they may be poisoning people all over the place and continuing poor food safety practice, such as not washing their hands after going to the bathroom, pickign their noses or maybe they are even spitting in the food. Maybe that guy with a huge boil let some pus leak into the chana daal. I dunno, just a thought.

And because i know you likely didn't eat the meat, its even grosser when you get food poisoning from veggies. Thats just my opinion tho. Sheesh, vegetarian indian food should be the LAST thing you get sick from. Gross.

michie said...

Yeah I figured it was some sort of toxin in the food as a result of bacterial growth from poor food handling practices. However, I did have the butter chicken -- only one piece though... Hmm. Maybe my friend hogged out on butter chicken and my good fortune wasn't due to my stellar GI tract after all...

Oh well. Just forget I even brought this up. My bad.