Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Romance is Dead

I've been downloading songs to make my parents some CDs for their 45th wedding anniversary. (Shhh Dad, don't tell Mom:)... Normally I'm fairly cheese-resistant and especially like to make fun of sappy shit whenever the chance arises (i.e. get up and hurl in the corner)(for reference, see: The 80s called. It wants its music back!).

However, listening to all these old songs from my childhood is totally choking me up.

*Cough*

*Sputter*


Here I sit, listening to the CDs I've made. I stare at spreadsheets of P values and normality tests, examining the skewness and kurtosis of my data through eyes bubbling over in tears. Occasionally I'll belt out "nobody does it better, makes me feel sad for the rest, nobody does it quite the way you do..." or "Baby you left me defenseless. I've only got one plea, lock me away, inside of your love and throw away the key. I'm guilty, of love in the first degree..."

I hope no one can hear me out in the hallway. Eek. Ok, you can come back from the corner now. Those stains had better wash out!!!

God, what's happening to me?

I haven't heard any songs that tug my heart strings quite like these oldies do. Maybe the fact that they're from my childhood, they tap into an innocence and vulnerability that's been part of a huge covert cover-up operation in the works for decades. My heart is a secret agent. Haha.

Or maybe romance truly is dead. Years ago we expected tough times and worked through them. We knew that love prevailed. Nowadays people just want a strings-free roll in the hay and bail if things aren't automatically "easy".

By text. Email. Post-it note. Easy.

"Days may not be fair, always. That's when I'll be there, always. Not for just a an hour, not for just a day, not for just a year... but always."

Sniffle sniffle. Get a hold of yerself girl!!! *SLAP* Phew. Jeaysus, I'd better put on some System of a Down or something. Krike.

6 comments:

Rosie said...

ouch!

michie said...

ouch!

Anonymous said...

I am afraid ouch doesn't even come close ladies! Thankfully I didn't recognize any of those painful lyrics as your affliction could be contagious. Be sure to include Tweeter and the Monkey Man by the Traveling Wilburys on the mix and save some face!

BioKeith said...

Nothing says romance like Me First and the Gimme Gimme's version of Nobody Does it Better...

Of course, I'm single - what do I know?

michie said...

... listening to DEATH METAL now.

Aaaah, that feels better.

Anonymous said...

Reading that made me feel sad!! I think you are right,no real love out there anymore. "Smoky Mountain Rain"