Sunday, October 28, 2007

Online Dating: A Photo is Worth a Thousand Words

A lot of people online either don't have photos or have only an older one. In some cases it looks like it's been clipped from a magazine.

Don't fall for this! When the "reveal" happens, it will not be pretty! And by reveal, it can be in the form of him finally sending a recent photo, where you see that he gained a substantial amount of weight and lost a substantial amount of hair, or that he looks like he could be in an 80s hair band (or was way back when and hasn't updated his style). Pictures say so much... If you're an animal lover and he's photographed with an animal carcass and a huge shotgun, I'm betting you won't be a match. If you're a vegetarian health & fitness nut, and the Michelin man on the couch is juggling a triple cheeseburger and remote control then he probably isn't going to float your boat either. You may think I'm exaggerating, but there were a lot of people lying on the couch in their pictures! lol.

In the case of the guy with the model good looks (especially if he's got a Sears pose going on) who is emailing loooong letters about how you're his soulmate and he longs to be in your arms... It's more likely some scammer in a foreign country who longs to suck you dry! One such person wrote me his life story (see below) and then on msn he was asking me questions about myself. He started out with asking I live alone. I was thinking that if he was interested, he'd ask questions about my favourite food, what I do for fun or at least brag about how great he is. I informed him that in my opinion there were two reasons he'd want to know if I live alone- he wanted to rob/rape me or he wanted to see if I'd get on a webcam... with no one else around. Ahem. Oh the options! There were a lot more red flags, but the letter below says it all. If you get a form letter like this one, don't even bother. He was obviously preying on lonely older women... Age difference? He was 2 years younger than me...

Overall, there are a lot of cool people on these sites, but the freak ratio is pretty high. A good screening process is crucial and the learning curve can be steep. If the freak-light is flashing, run, don't walk in the other direction!


Hello Lady,
Thnx for responding my mail,I am happy meeting you as my friendsand maybe more oneday,I want us to get to know each before we meet in realto learn from each other in soul and spirit better.I love to go out and havefun,love watching sports,camping and so many more.I am going to send you myphoto and i hope you will also do the same for me to know whom i am talkingto.
I am John,I was born in Bootle Merseyside, North of England on October 12.My parents were very young when they had me and they passed away when I wasvery young I hadly knew them and have only a very faint memory of them. Mymother was dutch from Holland while my father was English. I grew up with mypaternal grandparents and grandpa worked in museums all over the world dongrestoration work.We lived in four diferent european cities as I grew up thenmoved back to London, moving back was definitely a good thing for me becauseit was my first opportunity of settling in a place for a while. When I was19 years old I went into the university of Durham in the north of Englandand I moved to Newcastle. Five (5) years later I graduated. At the age of 27my best friend died, my grandpa Before he died he wished I would get marriedand have kids. During my college years, I often applied for excavation jobsaround the world and got to travell extensively. In 1998 I was among a teamof archeaologists on a major find in Turkey and in 1999 in Greece. After along career traveling and bringing history to life, much of which I haverelished, I have finally decided to settle down with someone I love and makethe most of my life
It was very nice meeting you and i hope oneday we will be in each otherarms,I have been single for along time and always praying to meet the womanof my dreams,I have alot of female friends from college but never met theright woman of my dreams,You are a beautiful woman and i can see that youwill make your man very happy,I am ahonest,loving,caring,faithful,loyal,respectful and all a woman needs to behappy ,I lived with my cousins in the same house,will soon move to my newhome.I live at the north of barclays street,It is very nice and good placewith my cousins,I hope my age and my difference wont bother you at all.it does not bother me at as i am looking for my soulmate and my life partner,Iwant you to tell me about yourself and a photo
take care

John

No comments: