Monday, July 23, 2007

Awkward

I'm always self-conscious about people using my washroom (the one just off the bedroom). I prefer to do a 'scan' before anyone goes in there. Wayward hairs (I shed a lot when I brush my hair), unidentified gunk on the mirror, an unflushed toilet (c'mon, if it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down) and underwear that likes to hang out on the floor a little longer than it should are just some things to be removed before public entry.

I also need to ensure that the trash can doesn't have anything visible in it that would make a nosy garbage-glancer invariably throw up in their mouth a little. Not that there's anything gross in there, uh, most of the time anyways… But some things can be misconstrued. For instance, once I cut my leg shaving and was bleeding like crazy. Of course the bloody tissue was visible in the trash and I wondered if someone would think I was proudly un-shy about how Aunt Flow was currently visiting me (you know, a menstruation exhibitionist). Which I'm definitely not, although little tampons still unwrapped but sitting in plain view are not unusual and not a big deal (however I do get embarrassed in public when I go to take money out of my bag at the till and out comes a tampon, eeeek!)…

So that was a long-winded lead-up to this past weekend when I had a friend visiting from Calgary. I had taken my hairbrush and cut off most of the hair that had collected on it and thrown it away. I wasn't too worried about it looking strange in there as it didn't look like it could be misconstrued. However, I didn't notice at the time that a bunch of the hair that had been cut shorter had fallen onto the toilet lid. Later in the day I went in there and panicked…

"Why is there fricken PUBIC HAIR on my toilet!?!"

It took me a few red-faced moments to figure out that it had fallen from my brush. Great. Do I ask Chris if she saw pubes in my washroom and thought I did a major hack job 'down there' in preparation for our night out? Awkward.

Nope. I just let it go.

Ugh.

UPDATE: see Feedback.

4 comments:

Rosie said...

haha! i still wonder why sometimes you are still embarrassed when I use your washroom. Its like, we fricken lived together! I thought i was beyond the crusty underwear check !

hehehehehe....

michie said...

Perhaps I'm trying to masquerade as a non-human.

Whatevs, some stuff is embarrassing.

Anonymous said...

Umm, yeah. I did notice the pubes. All this time I thought you were just getting ready to moon the neighbour, beckham style!

michie said...

Haha. I'll have to check the video to see if you took care of that before you mooned them, hehehe.