Sunday, April 22, 2007

Meet Joe Black AGAIN

I got suckered into watching the movie Meet Joe Black on TV again last night. Every time that show is on TV, it seems that I have to watch it... Even though I own a copy of the movie!

It always begins the same. I start watching so that I can gawk at Brad Pitt for a while (even though I don't have a crush on BP, I do think he's eye-numblingly beautiful. And don't worry, I realize that hair, makeup, wardrobe and cinematography helps A LOT). Next thing I know, I'm being drawn into the story AGAIN. Somehow, I get mezmerized. I can't take my eyes off the screen. Of course it's the kind of show a girl usually loves... A woman who has given up on her dream of fairytale love discovers that it really can happen. He looks perfect, he says the perfect things, incidentally she looks perfect too, and they walk together holding hands into the perfect fireworks ending. Somehow I don't hurl onto the coffeetable during all of this. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because the movie is very well done. Don't get me wrong, there are some discrepancies in the writing that I can't figure out. For instance, why hadn't Death, aka Joe Black, heard of the saying, "It's as sure as death and taxes" and yet in the next scene or so he spits out another common saying (can't remember what it was now). There are definitely times he doesn't know things and others where he seems to be all-knowing. Weird.

Anyways, what starts out as me having it on in the background while I work on something else winds up as a major distraction. Like a cartoon character who is walking by and smells a delicious pie on a window sill, I go into a trance-like state. I start floating in the air with my nose following the scent until I'm plunked down in front of the television screen, marvelling over how a human being can look so perfect.



Oh well. Now I'd better get something done today... And the TV stays OFF!

2 comments:

Jensies said...

barf

and brad pitt is generically pretty ... give me a goofball anyday!

michie said...

I agree! I never said I wanted to BE WITH him... just that he's very nice to LOOK AT.

He's way too pretty for me to date if it were even within the realm of possibilities. Besides the fact that I'd look like a baboon beside him. I can see it now, people would start offering me bananas. He'd walk into public places with me and be told by security that he should leave because there are no pets allowed. Truthfully, I'd be thrilled about the bananas at first, and then it would smart a wee bit when the reality hit home. Simply put, I'd feel like I was dating outside of my own species.

And who wants to be with a guy that other girls are drooling over all the time. Not good, not good at all.