According to Albert Einstein the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.Let's not let criminals take our money AGAIN, with our blessing. Let's show them that this IS NOT ok.
This is my first "official" blog. In the world of academia, I needed something to take less seriously and an 'outlet' for my stranger side. So here I ramble.
9 comments:
That being said, its also NOT okay to vote strategically. Vote for whose values you believe in. I am NOT supporting the Liberals but take this into consideration:
If the liberals get in, it will likely be minority anyway. Same if the conservatives got in. So the government will look the same either way ,and will therefore not affect the outcome of the future (except that all are making fairly lofty promises they will have to keep). I'm more concerned about the environment than the Libranos.
If we can get some Greens in parliament it would definitely lead to a more socially progressive and diverse parliament without the mass spending sprees and irresponsibility that all other parties (lets face it, Liberals are not the only ones marred with scandal-you are falling for the hype as much as I among other people are falling for the fear of a Conservative agenda).
POLITICAL SPEECH BY AN ORDINARY CANADIAN
Recently I heard a spokesperson for the N.D.P. state that Canadians needed a sense of assistance. When does a sense of assistance become a state of dependence or a sense of entitlement? I believe that if we humans receive something for nothing long enough we begin to feel that it is due us and its’ value becomes blurred. Further if we feel we are entitled there is no need for gratefulness. Is this the direction that we want for Canada? Do we really want Canada to become a nation of dependent, entitled ingrates?
Paul Martin insists that Liberal values are Canadian values. Do we as a nation really value the goings-on in the ADSCAM Program, the huge over-runs in the Gun Registry Program and many other Federal Government programs. Do we value the state of affairs of our native populations that have been under a Liberal Federal Government 75% of the time over the last 100 years. Did we value the decrease in transfer payments in the 1990’s to the provinces while the federal government made little effort to control their own spending. Do our values include keeping our promises 30% of the time?
There seems to be an attitude on the part of some Canadians that this election is a “Ho - Hum” election and not really necessary. I would suggest to you the exact opposite. I would suggest to you that this is a defining point in Canadian history and that Canadians must choose between a socialist state program-orientated dependent future for Canadians, or a Canada that recognizes and supports a baseline standard of performance and behavior and will not accept anything less from itself or its citizens. A Canada that prides itself in principles of honesty, integrity, and accountability, a Canada that takes pride in its democratic process and respects the capabilities and judgments of its citizens who work hard, are responsible and accountable, and have compassion for the aged, the poor and the chronically ill.
Most Canadians don’t begrudge our tax dollars as long as we feel that we are getting value for our money. Suggestions are that 40 million dollars is not accounted for in the ADSCAM program. The gun registry runs a billion dollars over its projected budget. How many more billions of dollars of waist could be found if each federal government program and Crown Corporations were audited by Sheila Frazer?
We as Canadians do not identify with these failures and mismanagement. I as a Canadian am insulted by the very suggestion that I should embrace the Liberal Governments’ failures and their direction of my life.
At the very least Canadians expect the Federal Liberals to learn from their mistakes. During the tough financial times of the early 1990’s the federal liberal government drastically cut transfer payment to the provinces for health care, all the while proclaiming themselves the saviors of health care. In spite of the Liberal Federal Government wallowing in money from over taxation and benefits from the Tories Free Trade Agreement, we have fewer physicians per capita, waiting times have doubled, and our health care system as rated by the United Nations has dropped drastically. In spite of this disastrous lack of support for our National Health Care plan, Paul Martin states he will set up a child care system akin to Medicare. This in their mind is the best they can do. Keep in mind at the other end of the spectrum is the job they have done in supervising and administering programs pertaining to our native peoples. God help us and our children! What will happen to their child care program and further happen to health care if there is a downturn in the economy?
I sometimes wonder if many Canadians are suffering to some degree from the Stockholm Syndrome. We have for years been told by the Federal Liberals that in spite of their many transgressions all the alternatives are scary and we are safer with them--- a process that takes away all options and creates total dependence on our “captors”. Pessimism and cynicism stating “all politicians are the same” suggests that we abandon the political democratic process and fuels our feelings of helplessness. The farther we go down this road as a people and a nation the more difficult it will be to recapture our pride, our dignity and our hope for a future for our children. Tell Canadians again why this isn’t a defining election in Canada’s history.
The biggest “bogy man” to keep Canadians captive has been the fear of loss of our Publicly Funded Health Care system by a parallel Privately Funded Health Care System. The fear mongers say physicians presently in the Public system would go to the Private system should there be such a system. Why would they? Why wouldn’t they work in both systems? Unless of course governments mandated that they could only work in one system. At present most surgeons want more operating room time but the public system does not provide it.
Last year for the first time in many years, there were more physicians coming back to Canada from the U.S. than going to the U.S. One of the main reasons for this is that the large U.S. H.M.O’s have become as autocratic as our health care system. Perhaps if Canada offered some alternative ways of practicing many thousands of our estranged doctors and nurses would return to Canada. Think of what could happen if the present health care system was unburdened by 20 to 30 percent of Canadians that could afford to carry additional insurance but the existing health care budget went in to caring for the chronically ill, the poor and needy, and the frail elderly. Think what might happen if suddenly thousands of our Canadian doctors and nurses presently working in the U.S decided to return to Canada. We wouldn’t have to depend on foreign trained graduates. Waiting lists would drop drastically. So what is to fear? Government funding cutbacks as a percentage of the G.D.P. is our greatest fear under these circumstances, not a fabricated idea of somebody getting something that someone else cannot or our needy being neglected.
I suggest to you, my fellow Canadians, that this election is pivotal for Canada and Canadians. We can move forward with the confidence of Canadians that founded this great country and the knowledge that we the people of Canada will determine our values, our priorities and our dreams or we can get further embroiled in the Federal Liberal agenda for us which plainly is designed to take away our self determination. We can focus our compassion on the chronically ill, the poor, the misfortunate, and the frail elderly or we can squander our tax money and revenue from non-renewable resources on non-sustainable, non-accountable Liberal programs that attempt the “one size fits all” Liberal agenda that is regressive and demoralizing. We, the people of Canada, demand a federal government that has integrity and accountability. We, the people of Canada demand a federal government that focuses on the needs of the people of Canada without confiscating our right to self determination and the freedoms of choice and opportunity. We, the people of Canada will accept nothing less.
I hope my Dad doesn't mind that I posted his viewpoint here (above).
For once on this blog I have posted a comment on my political observations in our great country. Normally this blog is purely for entertainment value. However, this specific entry can be a bit different, I don't mind. And even though it might not be that entertaining to some, I suppose it fits into the categories of "ramblings" and "of a whiner". Haha, JK.
I personally have trouble with politics. This particular entry was in response to the fact that I've been so disappointed in the past at how readily people are to go back to the path that noosed them before. I just can't get too involved because it's too frutstrating. It boils my blood. I CAN say that I WON'T choose to go back to the same corruption.
The elder folks nowadays wonder why the younger folks don't get more involved in the running of this country. It's aggravating is my answer to that question. This is no excuse, but it's my sanity we're talking about.
Rose;
I can certainly symathize with the younger generations frustration but the answer is to confront your frustrations. If you want a focus on the environment take over the goverment, run it effectively and take the billions of dollar being spent on entitlements (and just plain wasted) on enviromental issues. Poor contries need to put food on the table and could care a twit about the environment.
Oh Rose, Rose, Rose... not again! Since when did the Conservatives steal money? C'mon. I must say I get sick and tired of people saying that the Conservatives are as bad as the liberals. Harper is a decent honest man. Don't know what power will do but history shows that he has stood up for his values and ethics in the past. Do your research. You cannot compare any of your issues with the Conservatives with the illegal activity committed by the liberals. How can you paint them with the same brush? There is nothing you can point to that can compare to the corruption committed by the existing government and the way they have set it up so that democracy is extremely limited in this country.
Go ahead and vote for the Green party Rose and don't vote strategically, but don't come crying to me when they pass Bill C-11 and underhanded activities like Adscam is hidden for 5 years with no access to information about it. Read Bill C-11 and you will start to realize that keeping the Liberals in any kind of capacity can eventually lead to even more problems and government control than we have now. The green party and the rest of us will have no say whatsoever.
As far as childcare goes, you seem to believe the government has more of an interest in children than their own parents. Sure, they may be a crack whore or two out there but are you stating that Canadian mothers are all crack whores? I always hated the teacher who punished everyone in the class rather than the person who did it. Hmmmm... perhaps you should vote for the Communist party? Socially progressive? Red is out Rose - freedom and democracy is in. Besides look at the other government programs like healthcare and the natives? I don't think even Crack Whore mothers will want their child in their programs...
So the discussion continues... Rose, any comments? Apparently they are unable to post on your blog so the responses are here.
All I can say is that any amount of support for the Liberals is condonement of their corruption. I stand by that no matter what, even the most uninformed, politically ignorant Canadian should be able to see that.
Rose, how do you feel about popcorn & beer? (google reid+popcorn+beer if you don't know what I'm talking about) How do you feel about the Liberals' obvious disdain for Jane & Joe Q Public?
Personally, it doesn't work for me.
Great rant - totally agree with everything and couldn't said it better. Scott Reid's comments on Beer and Popcorn are entirely what is wrong with the Liberal political culture in Canada. We have to spend the money because we will do it right and ordinary canadian can't be trusted to spend their money wisely. And the government has done such a great job with our money???
michie, since I'm guessing that several other Canadians would consider your dad's rant a breath of fresh air, I posted it over at Project Alberta.
I hope he doesn't mind!
Post a Comment