Thursday, December 08, 2005

When life gives you lemons...

Click picture to magnify.

Scott Adams, creator of 'Dilbert', has a blog. One of the recent entries is called Top the Cartoonist. I thought it was kind of fun. I decided to take a stab at it, but came up a little lame. My attempts were...

Sourpuss: When life gives you lemons...

Sourpuss: Take those little yellow balls of sunshine...
Sourpuss: And light up the boss.

Sourpuss: Rub them on your ass, add sugar…
Sourpuss: And then find yourself a girl who loves lemon drops.
(I confess the original lemon drop idea came from my roomie;)

Sourpuss: Pretend they’re your _________'s head (substitute: boss, ex-girlfriend/boyfriend, mother-in-law, annoying coworker)...
Sourpuss: And make lemonade.

Sourpuss: Just like youth is wasted on the young...
Sourpuss: Lemons are wasted on the stupid.

You can check out others responses at his blog. When writing humor, Scott makes some great suggestions. He says that at the core of humor is what he calls the "2-of-6 rule." He explains that in order for something to be funny, you need at least two of the following elements:
Cute (as in kids and animals)

Naughty

Bizarre

Clever

Recognizable (You’ve been there)

Cruel

He says that he invented the rule and that whenever something is funny it follows the rule.


Hmmm, interesting... I think I rely on cruel and bizarre a lot. That's my 2. I'll have to keep the rule in mind and try to change it up. Perhaps that explains the monkey thing, it adds in the 'cute' dynamic to any scenario. And if you can get a monkey to do something bizarre, then you'll have everyone bustin' a gut. I get this!!!

The actual cartoon runs tomorrow at the Dilbert site (or click on this link to the cartoon).

Posted by Picasa

No comments: