It’s Roll-Up-The-Rim To Win (RUTRTW) time at Tim Hortons (oh man, it’s tough to write that without an apostrophe). This is the time when non-garbage sifters jump into dumpsters to search for the treasure: empty, unrollen TH cups… the ultimate find. It’s also when the non-coffee drinkers succumb to the pressure and flock along with the junkies to Timmy Ho’s. It’s true that thousands of these TH teetotallers get addicted to the Black Death every year at this time (thus adding TH addiction to their existing gambling problem). I’m sure that’s part of the TH corporation’s plot, pretty ingenious actually. Especially since it’s always been my suspicion that they put some sort of addictive substance in their coffee, as if the caffeine vice wasn’t enough for our sleep-deprived society…
Here’s part of a conversation I had with a friend of mine on this topic of the suspected added substance:
Ross: I just had a Tim Hortons coffee and I'm feeling pretty wired, I think you are right - they must be putting something else in that stuff. I'm thinking I should go buy a large coffee, concentrate it, and run it through our GCMS or LCMS and see what shows up... maybe we can write a paper / file a class-action law suit... that's probably ALL you need right now.
Mich: Controversy in research... I like it! However, you realize we could never publish. If the results showed that there was indeed an addictive substance in the TH coffees that had to be removed, we would have to go into the witness protection program! Our lives would be in danger from both TH and the masses of people going through extreme withdrawal symptoms. This is sure to include tremors, debilitating headaches, mood swings and violence... A bad combo for our personal safety.
Ross:
Anyways, the other day on the ski trip, for the first time in forever, I had a TH coffee. I forgot to bring my travel mug and well, I was outnumbered as to where to stop and didn’t protest since I had TH gift certificates on me! I’d gotten them for Xmas (for some reason… whatever, I’ll takem) and this was the perfect opportunity to be a big spender and treat my fellow ski-trippers to a coffee in the spirit of generosity (all 3 bucks worth). In the past, I just didn’t like Tim’s. It gagged me. It was strong enough but tasted weird to me. However, on this occasion, my medium-double-double was just sweet and creamy enough to cover up the weird taste and it was actually drinkable! I got nothing on the RUTRTW though. Dammit!
I’m so ANTI-RUTRTW I can’t even believe it. Uh, if I’d won a TV though, I wouldn’t send it back!!! Ahem. Actually I think it encourages wastefulness. I totally agree with Rose on this issue (see Roll up the opportunistic greed). I mean, can you believe how idiotic that fight over the car is??? Holy schnikes!!!
In fact, I’ve been known to buy a $30 travel mug in order to avoid the dreaded paper cup (DPC). And I hate it when coffee places automatically give you the DPC, unless you specify, “It’s to STAY please!” I’ll have a hissy fit in the place if I’ve had a momentary brain fart and forgotten to mention it and therefore end up with the fricken DPC.
So today I didn’t have my travel mug on me after my meeting across campus with my supervisor. I had two choices on my way back… go to Java Jive (sketchy coffee sometimes and no RUTRTW) or Tim’s. There was no doubt I would need a coffee to prevent head-bobbing in my seminar later. I was going to have to do the DPC anyways so I made the fateful decision… I shyly entered the building where TH is and eyed up the huge line. After fighting the urge to bolt, I timidly approached the Tim’s kiosk… looked both ways, and hesitantly got in line. I hoped no one I knew would see me there as I sheepishly ordered a medium-double-double, my second one in days.
At least it would be fresh.
I was aware as I headed back to my office, with my TH RUTRTW DPC in hand, that this was a rare event. I swiftly made my way up the stairs and to my desk. The coffee was ok, too creamy actually, but drinkable. I found I was unskilled at drinking from the paper cup with the plastic part peeled back and fought with that for a bit. Following a mostly successful consumption, I even let it sit there for a second before I rolled it up.
PLEASE PLAY AGAIN.
How anti-climactic.
I doubt that I will, though, thanks. I definitely Timmy Ho'ed myself out for that one.

4 comments:
Hey!!! I just had one this afternoon and won a coffee!!! It was a little difficult to roll up the rim but there was no way I was going to ask for help. I would have had to split my cofee!!! After Laughlin, it was kinda nice to win sumthin.
Yeah, they did a speil on lonely planet about added substances to Timmy Ho's, and apparently there are none (they tested it by GC or mass spec or something. They wer elooking for nicotine among other things. And apparently second cup had the highest caffeine load while Tim's had the least (starbucks somewhere in the middle).
Maybe its opiates? I dunno. Anyway, I've reached my 10 RUTRTW DPC limit and am oging back to muggaroo. I think that perhaps we should be organizing some sort of pressure on Timmy Ho's (I love that name) to get them to change this game to a scratch and win card or something.
Can you explain how a scratch and win card is any better of a solution? I would imagine that a substantial portion of TH coffee is sold in the paper cup to begin with (drive through etc.), so now you are just adding additional waste to the system. Perhaps making cup recycling bins available at all Tim's might be an appropriate suggestion for the Tree Hugger in all of us. That way all those people packing 400 empty cups in the back of their ride can unload every now and then. Attach the instant win portion of the contest to the recycling step of the coffee consumption cycle and you just might achieve something!
Just a thought.
The cup recycling isn't a bad idea. I also think that they could hand out small scratch and win cards when someone uses a travel mug (or perhaps 2 as incentive).
But as long as people don't really care and still go in hoards to Timmy Ho's for the cups, then nothing will ever ever change.
I guess as always, this is corporate and human nature working together to make the world a better place.
Post a Comment