Wednesday, April 19, 2006

The MUMPS

Did anyone hear about this:

Iowa Mumps Patients May Have Spread Disease to Air Travelers

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) Apr 13 - Two persons identified by the Iowa Department of Public Health as having mumps may have transmitted the disease to travelers on nine different commercial flights, investigators note in the April 14th issue of the Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report.

In December 2005, a large outbreak of mumps began in Iowa, and 515 possible cases have been reported during 2006 as of April 10th. Officials are currently investigating whether this outbreak influenced mumps activity in neighboring states, including Illinois, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, and Wisconsin.

Holy, I haven’t heard about the mumps in forever! That’s a funny word: MUMPS. I like funny words.

I remember as a kid my little brother got the mumps and his throat and face swelled up so much that he looked fricken hilarious! I seriously could NOT look at him without laughing! That poor kid.

I think I know why, when he got big enough, he beat the livin' crap out of me.

3 comments:

Rosie said...

Funny, i hear cases are coming back because parents are hearing misinformation about the safety of vaccines.

Lanny said...

LOL.. yes, misinformation. On a radio show I listen to, there are groups who feel vaccinations are part of the illuminati conspiracy to sicken the masses. Sounds similar to the Herbinator health care advocate.

michie said...

No idea where Iowa is.

Isn't it near Brazil?