Thursday, May 11, 2006

The People Upstairs

What are the people upstairs doing all the time? They move furniture on hardwood floors, sometimes every day for a week. Last night they dropped something hard on the floor (and it bounced, don't ask me what that would be) and it made such a loud noise that it scared the crap out of my flighty cat (who was perched on my belly and instantly to springboarded off it, using her claws as leverage. Ouch!). Anyways, she quite often walks around the apartment with heels on in the middle of the day (I'm assuming it's the 'she' part of the couple) and someone clomps around back and forth from one end of the apartment to the other at all hours. At times it sounds like they're having a hopscotch race wearing giant work boots. Once in a while it’s so loud that I wonder if maybe I’m being noisy and they’re doing it on purpose as some sort of twisted (and useless) idea of a ‘hint’. Well, hints don’t work with me!

They don’t seem like the hinting type though, since one time we were sanding a door with an electric sander and he showed up to say that it was deafening up there. So I’m assuming that if there was an issue, he’d come down and tell me.

It was good that he came down and said something. Not just to open communication but also because I can now put a face to the people upstairs. I didn’t know who it was before but now I know that it’s this couple I see around here all the time. I also now know who the hell is having all that sex. This place is usually pretty soundproof besides the furniture shifting and clomping. So it was weird a while back when I heard a whimpering coming from above. At first I thought it was a dog whining. Then I thought it was someone suffering. It crossed my mind that maybe I should call 911 because it sounded terrible. She was sobbing and sobbing... Then the sobbing gave way to yelps of pain.

Then it became clear. This was not yelps of pain but yelps of pleasure.

Good thing I didn’t call 911.


2 comments:

Rosie said...

man, she's a screamer.

I used to hear her ALL the time.

I wouldn't complain about them though, nothing could be as bad as hearing the bathtub farts from the couple on 64th ave!!!!!!!

michie said...

Oh the bathtub farts... yikes. I used to be able to hear him snore at night. Man, that turned into the worst house EVER.

I'd write about it if I thought I could make it funny. It's still not funny...