Saturday, August 26, 2006

What's in the sausage?

The other day after school I went for a ride and scouted out this spot for our picnic/bbq tomorrow. Nice eh? Just have to snag it somehow...

Today at the Farmer's Market I picked up some turkey sausage for the occasion. I'm not a huge fan of eating animals, and even less of a fan of eating sausage... so put the two together and I'm not 100% sure why I bought it! I was perfectly happy with the prospect of eating a veggie dog. I don't know what it is about sausage... Have you ever seen it being made? There's this sludge made from God knows what body parts that they stuff into this film that looks like a thin layer of skin or even gut epithelium. They could literally put anything in there: shredded cardboard, sewage and even hurl, and as long as they added the right spice mix it would still taste fine and you'd be none the wiser.

I wonder sometimes when I buy "homemade" stuff, what exactly has gone into it. I guess that goes with any prepared foods. I bought prepared dahl makhani once and it had a thick curly black hair in it. I discovered this only AFTER I'd eaten half of it. Ewww. I haven't bought any foods from that particular company since!

So the sausage I bought has salsa and cheese in it. I hope that doesn't mean that the guy making it had been to Julio's Barrio the night before for nachos and then drank a few too many margaritas!

3 comments:

Al said...

Come on! As a nutritionalist you know there is food value in lots of things north americans find repulsive. And what's wrong with "hurl". A little predigestion may ad good things to the original content. Now get out there and enjoy your turkey sausage!!!!

Rosie said...

Gross :P

michie said...

What we don't know won't hurt us???