Friday, September 08, 2006

Camping!!!

This is my last weekend of 100% pure fun. Earlier today I was having a nervous breakdown about my thesis and why the hell I'm taking off for the weekend and doing the math on what I have to do in how little time. I don't know if I'm going to pull it off folks. I have about 2 months to write a thesis and my data hasn't even been completely analyzed yet. YEAH... I almost bailed on this weekend, I was this --> <-- close.

So our research group is heading towards Jasper today to do some camping. Yay! Last year I started up the tradition of an annual camping trip. Y'know, a team building crap sorta thing. I'm sooo looking forward to this as it will be my only camping trip this year! Unbelievable!!! My supervisor is promising to tell bear stories around the campfire, which should sufficiently scare the snot out of some first-time campers from France and China, and probably the rest of us as well. And what of cougars and wolves? Yikes. And spiders... I'm a bit of a wimp that way. Hopefully the spiders mind their own business! (Spiders, although scary, are hardly in the same category as a large carnivore, I admit. I can co-habit with a spider in my tent if I HAVE to, I don't think the bear and I would do so well together).

This year I vow to drink less around the fire at night. That first night last time was a doozy and the next morning I felt like complete dog doodoo. I stumbled out of my tent, sat my green dizzy self down for a minute, ate a banana and ran to the outhouse and woofed it up. Not good. Plus my supervisor doesn't need to see my crazy alter-ego, AGAIN... Anyways, the weekend should be interesting for sure.

Below are some pretty cool pictures my friend Nancy took around Jasper earlier this year. I've included her story as well...

The craziest thing happened to me when I was driving to Prince George today. I was about 20 minutes outside of Jasper....(PG side) and I saw this....dog trotting down the highway ahead of me.....as I got closer...I realized it wasn't an effen dog. it was a WOLF! I couldn't belive my eyes. I have never ever ever in my life seen a wolf ON the highway...I've seen one in the ditch once...and it bolted into the trees before I could even get a good look at it. Anyway...it was the most surreal moment. I stopped right beside it and it just stopped and stared right into the window. I was shaking...and had my camera in my purse (flukey chance!). So I was able to snap two photos of it. it was just so amazing. these crazy silver eyes ....it felt like the wolf looked right through me. then I just slowly drove beside it...rolled my window down and said 'hi' to him...and he just kept looking over at me....and slowly walking beside my car. It was awesome.

The drive was gorgeous...blue blazer the whole way...clear roads. I 've also attached a wicked shot of the majestic Mt. Robson....




2 comments:

Al said...

This type of thing happens from time to time. I had a wild cat that followed me all over the place for months but wouldn't leave me pet her. It acted very much like an Arabian stallion that I had years before and had died. Eventually the cat became quite adoring and fond of me but it took months, just like with the Arabian stallion. Probably a re-incarnation.
Ask Nancy if the wolf reminded her of anyone who she knew in the oast and has since died. It will spook her out!
Kidding? No---yes---no---yes---no--

Rosie said...

Hey have fun this weekend. I saw a wolf outside of Jasper too once, it was running down the road, but by the time we got our cameras out it was in the woods....the car scared it. Beautiful. We also saw a black bear that same weekend.