Saturday, September 23, 2006

My Dad is NOT an idiot.

After reading my blog and some of the wisecracks people have added, many of my friends have asked, “Who the hell is AL?


Here are the things I know for sure:

-He’s a regular commenter on “ramblings of a whiner.”
-He thinks I’m a whiner, and that I ramble.
-Many of my friends think his comments are pretty funny.
-He thinks his comments are funny, probably has more fun commenting than actually reading my posts.
-He is my dad.
-He is NOT an idiot.
-I don’t think he’s an idiot, even though I called him one... kinda.


I felt the need to talk about this, openly, because it is becoming painfully clear that he’s not over the “Al, you are an idiot!!!” comment I made so many moons ago. The evidence, several references he’s made to it since…


Gmail chat with Pa at 22-Aug-2006 08:39 PM:

Pa: … Is everthing alright between you and Rosie. She hasn't commented on your blog in a long time and I'm feeling guilty cause I've commented on hers…
Me: No it's fine. I don't know why she hasn't commented. I never thought about it.
Pa: At least I didn't call her an idiot! on her blog.
Me: Neither did I.
Pa: What?????????


Posted by Al to ramblings of a whiner at 22-Sep-2006 08:33:43 AM:

I am glad that you honour your father. On occasion I have had the sad experience of one of my children calling me an idiot!


It is obvious from these two transgressions, as well as multiple 'in person' references to it, that Al (aka “Pa”) is clearly not over being called an idiot.

But how did the whole idiot thing come about? Good question. After all, it’s not every day that a person calls their dad an idiot, particularly in our family.


So here it is:

My sister posted about how 1 out of 5 Canadians are Nuts on her blog (click on the link to see the whole thing, with all the comments below it), where she wrote about the whole Israeli/Hezbollah conflict. After commenting on her post, my dad and I were chatting on Gmail chat and this is what went down...

Pa: You need to write another funny on Lannys blog. I just left a real downer.
Me: uh oh
Pa: Guess I'll switch over to your blog and see what "THE MASHER" has to say today.
Me: uh oh, you're gonna make some comment about how long it is
Pa: You said it!!

[Pause] During this pause I checked out my dad’s comment on my sister’s blog and noticed his typo… he was writing about 9/11 and put 7/11. Wahahaha. This was my chance to use the typo to act like the usual type of commenter on some of the more political-themed blogs, commenters who are a bit over-the-top (i.e. expressing extreme opinions and name-calling).

Me: Um hey dad, you said to put a funny comment on lanny's blog, so I did. Don't take the idiot comment personally, the whole comment is tongue in cheek. Hahaha. To make a point.


So you see that the idiot comment about Al was, in fact, solicited by himself! And I thought it was funny and it did make a point, and that point was NOT that my dad is an idiot. Sorry Dad, I used you and abused you with your permission... kinda.

There it is, my public retraction of my idiot comment.

3 comments:

Al said...

Aw, gee, now I've got you feeling guilty!! During family get togethers, it is very common to roast ones parents (in this family at least) with all the mundane, insane, and innane things we have said and done, over our lifetime-----NO MATTER what the context. The beauty of being a family (functional or dysfunctional) is that we can laugh about these things for years and years and years -------. Now get back at working on that thesis.

michie said...

Yes, there is the occasional "roast".

I thought we came to the conclusion that you were too young to know any better back then.

michie said...

And don't tell me what to do!!! Who do you think you are, my parent or something!?!

Geez.

Oh yeah, I guess you are. My bad.