My friend Lisa was telling me about a movie called Water. Shortly after a girl Chuyia, marries her betrothed, he dies and she's basically forced to live in a temple as a nun. This is because " ... according to Holy Hindu Scriptures she has been destined to live here for the rest of her life, for when a woman's husband dies', she has three options: One, to marry her husband's younger brother, if his family permits; two, to kill herself on his funeral pyre; three, to live a life of celibacy, discipline, and solitude amongst her own kind."
Yikes, the choices! That's harsh.
Apparently Chuyia is only nine years old when this happens and scarcely remembers getting married.
Although I can't say I've suffered as these women have, I see some strange parallels with my own life.
I know I was fairly stunned in my teenhood and early twenties, not knowing wtf was going on most of the time. Could there have been a month or so back then when I was married and didn't know it and then he croaked? Maybe it was during my "slow" years way back when you could've hit me over the head with a frying pan and I would have rubbed my lid and said, " woooooah maaan, that stung." And then if you asked me if I minded getting hit with the pan, I probably would've responded, " ... I don't know."
But the question is always WHY. Why, so many moons ago, did this curse fall upon me?
If something like that did in fact occur, then why the hell didn't he have a hot younger brother!?! I would have totally been down with that!
Celibacy, discipline and solitude... Not so down with that.
Wednesday, September 20, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
You're warped, man.
woooooah maaan, that stung.
Wanna trade lives?
Common-law marriage, disorder and clamor...
... Is he any good in bed?
Hahaha, just kidding!!! or am I?
I really don't need to know. Knowing he doesn't change the toilet roll is enough to drive me to celibacy and solitude forever!!!
I just read this and could not stop laughing outloud! Lee was yelling from upstairs - "what are you laughing at?"
I got laughing tears all over the keyboard - which is good considering they're covered in his bum sweat, snot, coffee...
Post a Comment