Thursday, October 05, 2006

Supersize the TRANS?

If you're thinking of 'offing' someone- forget adding cyanide to their dinner every night, try a little trans! Let me explain...

A while back, Rose did an entry on her blog called McObesity, where she featured some of the signs people made at the site: RonaldMcHummer.com. Check out some of the ones she picked out at her blog, they're quite funny.

I decided to make my own...



And then I thought, what a great resource for nutrition presentations!!! It turns out that Jen and I are doing an after dinner talk next week on the subject of TRANS FAT. What a Golden Arches opportunity!

This is what we came up with...





It turns out that HALF of the 14 grams of fat in a MacDonald's large fries is TRANS FAT. Holy shit... lightbulb moment! Could it be that the dude in Supersize Me almost croaked due to trans fat overdose, rather than just the daily consumption of extremely low nutrient-per-calorie so-called "food"?



Man, it is SO EASY and fun to pick on MacDonald's!!! And yet people still line up for their own execution. KFC is no better though... ewwww. Get this: Popcorn chicken and fries have the highest possible levels of trans fats at a whopping 18.6 grams! Yeah, in fact you shouldn't eat more than 2 grams a day... so 18 grams would boost your risk of heart disease by nearly 100%! So if you're gonna pop the popcorn chicken, you might as well just excuse yourself from the table, pack your overnight bag and go check yourself into the nearest hospital, indefinitely.

I think it's safe to say that if your husband or wife starts bringing KFC home every night for dinner, it's probably time to have a little sit-down and ask if there's something bothering them.

3 comments:

Al said...

GULP!!!!

Lanny said...

Apparently special coffees are pretty bad too

Anonymous said...

Here's my justification for refusing to eat fast food ever since my nutrition class in Junior High School. This blog is for all the people that thought I was silly with my prefernce for homecooked scratch food that I grew up on. I will only eat this garbage in sheer desperation like on vacation - when I can't cook.