Thursday, January 18, 2007

Dance Classes!

Hiphop dance class starts next week! I told Jen that we should take a 'before' and an 'after' video to see how much we've improved (this video does not count as a 'before'). I think it would be prudent. She doesn't think there would be much difference... So then, Jensies, why are we taking a class!?! There'd better be a difference, I need tools. My moves need an overhaul.

I'm hoping there will be people like this in the dance class. Maybe it will be a shirts-optional class. In that video he's doing something called krumping. Here's another video of this unusual dance style, I like that one. It's like someone put the settings of a dancing robot to 'high speed' and 'random'. This type of dancing comes totally natural to me, in fact, I've probably done it unknowingly many times. Totally freestyle. Don't need to take a class for that shit. The most common form in my repertoire would probably be a combo of Goofy and Fight (see below), particularly when someone approaches me on the dance floor. I've also heard it referred to as "Flailing." Sometimes they don't even have to approach me on the dance floor, even in the middle of the bar I'll throw the moves out. It's my prophylaxis. Uh, or perhaps theirs...

According to Wikipedia, various styles of krumping include:

  • Goofy: Pioneered by the krump practitioner "Goofy" himself. It is the least aggressive of the krump styles, usually funny and energetic.
  • Beasty :Aggressive, beast-like and powerful. It is similar to bully but more animalistic
  • Grimey: Dirty, mistrating and "wrong"
  • Flashy:Using a lot of foot movement and quick sharp, precise and showy moves.
  • Cocky: Stuck up and conceited
  • Bully :Aggressive and powerful
  • Tricks:Using a combination of moves
  • Fight : Fake fighting
  • Fast: Quick, fast and energetic movements

Geez, I hope I don't get kicked out of the class for making the instructor laugh, like Nate did from his aerobics class. Haha, that kills me. The instructor made him leave because he wasn't able to keep up and she kept cracking up. But I'm like that in aerobics too; just cannot follow. Hmmm, this class could be interesting.

I still think Jen and I should perfect the moves in this Ok Go video and bust them out at Urban sometime. That would be classic. They'd be like, "Sheesh, who let the pros in? They're totally making us all look bad." I bet our hiphop instructor would be very very impressed.

No comments: